Candles are like clothes, the better you care for them, the longer they will last and the better they will look.
These helpful tips below will help you care for your candle and keep it at it’s best!
Alchemy Candle Tips:
- For lighting the conical flask, a BBQ igniter is the easiest way because of the neck shape, however a strand of spaghetti or a skewer make a cheap alternative and will also do the job! Long matches are also good for lighting the conical flask candle.
- Always light candle upright, do not tild to light.
- Recycle your glass wear; Soy wax is super soft and a finished candle can easily be rinsed out under hot water or put through the dish washer. An empty beaker of conical flask can be re-used as a vase, pot plant or water glass!
General candle care:
- Before lighting your candle, trim the candle wick to approximately 5mm.
- The first time you use your new candle, burn for at least 2-3 hours, allowing the wax to burn evenly across the surface. Scented candles develop a 'burn memory' and a candle that has not been burnt right to the edges on its initial use, will 'tunnel' and burn unevenly through the centre of the wax.
- For maximum burn time, always keep candle wicks trimmed to approximately 5mm. Not only will trimming the wick help your candle to burn evenly, but it will also eliminate smoking and minimize soot forming on the glass. However, a small amount of soot around the edges of the glass vessel is normal, particularly as your candle reaches the bottom. To remove, simply wipe with a wet cloth.
- Ensure you position your scented candle away from drafts. A draft can result in an uneven burn and will reduce the life of your candle.
- For best results, always burn your candle for at least 2 hours at a time, but never burn a scented candle for more than 4 hours. After 4 hours, extinguish the flame and allow to cool. Once the candle has cooled, trim wick to approximately 5mm and it may be relit again.
- When extinguishing your candle, never blow out the flame. This can not only damage the candle, but will also taint your beautifully scented room with the smell of smoke! Always use a candle snuffler to extinguish the flame. Alternatively dip the wick in wax to distinguish the candle and then set the wick upright and centre again ready for the next burn.
- Never leave a candle unsupervised. Choose where you burn your candle carefully keeping the flame away from drafts, curtains, papers and other flammable items around the home.
- Keep burning candles out of reach of children and pets.
- Protect your furnishings from the heat. Candles, especially after burning for more than 3 hours can get very hot. So ensure candles are placed on a heat resistant surface and your furniture will thank you for it. Never move or touch a burning candle.
- Always keep your candle wick trimmed to less than 5mm to keep the flame height minimal. Do not allow any wick trimmings to fall into the candle. Not only will this affect the scent of your candle but also poses as a re hazard.
- Remove candles from their packaging before burning.
- Always read the safety instructions on the base of the candle before use.
- Stop burning your candle when you have about 1 cm of wax left.